Students in Mark Lord's 2013 ENDGAMES course share resources and thinking here.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

First Performance

As Mark said throughout our exercises, performing our "Not I" piece was very different in the space of our classroom than in the comfort of our respective bedrooms. Although I had run through my part many times, I found that I has spent too much time trying to master the material rather than stop and meditate on the formation of the words and the depth of the text as a whole. I enjoyed our exercises where we had to explore different ways of communicating our text, yet oftentimes I found myself lost in the delivery and would forget certain lines. Echoing what Jo has posted, I believe there cannot be true mastery of the performance technique unless the lines themselves are mastered. I suppose my nervousness in my own performance also detracted from this experience quite a bit as well.

I feel like one way we can all move forward in our respective pieces is by focusing more on our mouths. It's uncomfortable to remain deadpan and have our mouths do all the work of expressing emotion and meaning. I know I have to remind myself not to move my hands or furrow my eyebrows to convey the tone, but rather allow my mouth to accentuate and define it. I really feel like our discussions and exercises did bring this to light, but I have to continue practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment