Students in Mark Lord's 2013 ENDGAMES course share resources and thinking here.

Friday, March 29, 2013

First "Performance"... What?... Who?... No!... Ours!

I sensed that each individual had a rather distinct relationship with the text - namely where it originated in the body and how it lived in space.  We are all mouths.  During the run-through I wanted to be able to focus as best I could on the experience of the mouths in the circle.  It became super difficult to do that with the copious head movements that many of us had for various reasons.  I also found myself becoming interested in the varying levels of emoting that was happening with the rest of the face.  The words lived in each of our moths quite uniquely.  For me this was the "action" of the text - how do the words shape the experience of the mouth.

Knowing the text through and through is certainly requisite for experiencing the semi-non-volitional torrent effect of the text and our next step as collaborators would be to continue placing the text in our bodies to be actually regurgitated.  I still sensed a bunch more collateral action in the rest of our bodies that I imagine want to be coaxed into the mouth.  Continued work might be - animating MOUTH - unbelievably intense chewing of the words - and allowing the text to be less cerebral and/or volitional.

Until next time,

-Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment