Students in Mark Lord's 2013 ENDGAMES course share resources and thinking here.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

rehearsing for "Not I"

Like Erin, I also found difficulty in the practicing of pacing. With the building of my memorization, I found my cadence to be slower and more thoughtful, which contrasts our discussion of the pace from last week. When I picked up my pace, I found I forgot the more fragmented pieces of the monologue that makes "Not I" so unique. I also felt that in my attempts to go faster, I lost any intonation. I would become monotone. I believe that this should not be the case - especially since my segment includes the court scene, which is pretty rich with meaning for the mouth's character. There should be emotion embedded into the monologue, but should not be lost in favor of pace.

As a side note, I also found that I struggled to memorize parts of the piece. Like we discussed last week, there isn't a coherent storyline that can be followed. Parts of my piece jump around or begin some sort of cyclical pattern, only to be lost into more incoherent speech patterns. It's difficult to follow, and even more difficult to conceptualize, and twice as difficult to memorize. However I did find that closing my eyes did improve my memory. Perhaps it's an emphasis on the mind or the mouth?

No comments:

Post a Comment