Students in Mark Lord's 2013 ENDGAMES course share resources and thinking here.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Mouth

M o u t h  - a great word

I have been trying to let the words dance around in my mouth.  Each segment engages my mouth in a distinct series of shapes and playful relations to the text.  In memorizing the text via chewing the words over and over, I am really memorizing the patterns of movement in my mouth and their associations with those before and after more than the verbiage of the text itself.  I am considering the muscular suggestions of the word-sounds to be the blocking of the piece for a fully embodied mouth.  I am trying to find my body at perfect rest so that I can focus experiencing this piece as solely through the mouth as possible.  

In each segment there are a few strongly associative words that begin to string together a chain of associations for me as I read/learn which - I think more retrospectively than else - generates what feels like a dynamically coherent narrative.  That's great.  I think more than anything so far, that is what I appreciate about this piece - it feels like its offering a new way of experiencing narrative that is visceral, associative (personal & sociological) and unstable.

Woo,

-Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment