Students in Mark Lord's 2013 ENDGAMES course share resources and thinking here.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Rehearsal techniques

As I've been working on memorizing, I've been developing a couple of bad habits. Namely, the way I memorize is by pacing and reading out loud. I hope that means when the time comes to perform, I can stay put and spit my words out. I've also been having trouble with gesticulation; like most people, I tend to move my hands when I talk. In order to work against this, I've tried to clench my hands behind my back while I talk, but, weirdly enough, I've found it harder to remember the words when I do that.

In other rehearsal notes, I've been thinking about what we were talking about last week: about what it means to be fully bodied in the mouth. This has meant a lot of stretching of the jaw, puffing out of the cheeks, blowing out the lips; I've really been trying to explore the space of my mouth, how it shapes and contorts. I've also been doing a lot of tongue twisters, to feel out how my mouth tastes consonants.

No comments:

Post a Comment