Students in Mark Lord's 2013 ENDGAMES course share resources and thinking here.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Symmetry and Ambiguity in Molloy

Beckett seems to be obsessed with affirmations and negations that directly follow one another. Molloy, for example, lives in a liminal space between opposites. He states a fact or observation only to immediately negate it. The identities of those around him are not fixed, and he makes a point of consistently changing their names throughout the narrative in order to emphasize their shifting nature.

This structure made me have to choose my own reality in the story--the places, the names, etc, but even after having made a choice I found myself flopping back and forth between one reality and another. For instance: Was it raining or not? Was it midnight or not? After thinking that I had made a choice for raining and midnight (since Beckett had already planted these images in my head) I could not comfortably imagine the scene since the negations kept popping up in my head. I found myself in a doubtful state reminiscent of Molloy's confusion.

Two quotes I found particularly interesting: "I always had a mania for symmetry" (79), and "But I would rather not affirm anything on this subject" (59). Molloy's mania for symmetry may partly explain his inability of providing a conclusive fact, since he must also provide an opposite in order to balance the symmetry.

Beckett also plays with the ambiguity surrounding the identity of Molloy--is he Moran at a different time? Did Moran make him up as a symbol of his decaying sanity?

No comments:

Post a Comment