Students in Mark Lord's 2013 ENDGAMES course share resources and thinking here.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A quick response to our last dicussion of physics vs. reality: I am interested in the way that Beckettian landscapes shift and re-shift in an almost hallucinatory way. Throughout these novels names and characters interchange and replace one another almost seamlessly, and the landscape itself transforms joltingly. These transformations depict our narrators' mental landscapes (heightened sanity or insanity?)

On another note I am working with stones for my project. valuable possessions in the Beckettian world include stones, pencils, paper, old hats, and other small possessions. At one point these objects become invaluable, like lovers, but are then discarded in order to make room for another. These objects are then missed and grieved over. I wonder if this sequence references the characters' profound loneliness or whether Beckett is doing more with these seemingly inconsequential objects. Anything has sentimental value when one cares for it long enough. The object becomes curiously tied with the person's history and trajectory.

Just a thought on affirmations and negations (in reference to my last post) in Malone Dies: "But my notes have a curious tendency, as I realize at last, to annihilate all they purport to record" (252).

 I realize this post is quite choppy and all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment